What is Druzy?
Druzy is also known as Druze, Drusie, and Druse. It is used as a gemstone in jewelry due to its sparkling nature and wide array of colors. A set of tiny sparkling crystals of minerals constitute Druzy in different colors, shapes, forms, and size. It is found on the surface of sedimentary and igneous rocks. In an apparent look, it seems like a piece made of sugar or candy. The tiny particles of stones sparkle and absorb light, giving an intriguing and beautiful look when placed against light.
Formation of Druzy
Like many other stones used in jewelry, Druzy is also formed by nature. When the water takes part in the process of deposition, it brings minerals from the sedimentary rocks. The water evaporates gradually and the minerals are cooled down. These minerals form crystals in deposition state. Depending on the composition of different minerals, Druzy is formed in any color such as white, pink, green, purple, golden yellow or jet black, etc.
Mostly, you can find Druzy on the rocks near to the shoreline or riverbeds. Druzy is famous for its healing powers such as to reduce tension, to open the blocked energy and to purify the soul, etc.
Druzy is available in many different types due to differences in its composition. Druzy comes in various types, such as quartz druzy, rainbow, hematite, calcite, dioptase, vanadinite, and turquoise. The most common type is quartz druzy.
The common quartz druzy types are listed below.
- Spirit quartz: It is a quartz crystal with quartz druzy crust and is also known as cactus quartz or pineapple quartz.
- Peacock druzy: It is heat-treated and titanium-coated quartz. It has an iridescent shimmer with blue, green, or pink colors.
- Titanium druzy: A general term used to describe quartz druzy treated with titanium.
- Flat druzy: These are small gems with a druzy cover on the entire surface.
Druzy is available in different sizes ranging from tiny pieces to larger stones. Druzy crystals are extremely sensitive and can be damaged easily.
Druzy: Healing Power
- It enhances the power of the natural defense system of the human body and gives strength to the spirit.
- If you wear it for a longer time, it helps reduce depression and stress.
- The stone is believed to energize human body and mind.
- The stone helps improve blood circulation and is believed to increase fertility.
- It has been used to treat infections since ancient times.
- It also helps counter nervous and emotional breakdowns.
The gemstone crystals present in druzy can vary from one specimen to another. The deposition and growth of crystals in druzy are more important than the type of gems present in them.
The most common version is druzy quartz. You may find quartz druzy geodes featuring smoky quartz, amethyst, citrine, or clear quartz.
Druzy agate also contains quartz. However, agate consists of chalcedony as a major component. Other minerals like calcite, garnet, dolomite, and malachite are also present in druzy. Some druzy stones are also made from metallic vapors. This is a synthetic process, and it gives stones an iridescent and intriguing sheen with an artificial coating.
A typical (real) druzy’s properties can be summarized in the table below.
- Mohs hardness: 6-7
- Density: 2.65-2.66
- Crystal structure: Trigonal
- Transparency: Transparent to opaque
- Luster: Vitreous (glass-like)
- Fracture: Conchoidal, uneven, or granular
- Cleavage: None to indistinct
- Streak: White
- Pleochroism (color variation for destructive interference with the polarization direction of light): Sometimes in colored quartz varieties
- Color: Usually white, red, orange, yellow, or brown
How to Spot a Fake Druzy?
Many people have reported buying a fake druzy. Fake druzy is common in the market. Here is a checklist to help you buy a real druzy and spot a fake one.
- Natural druzy has dark and light circles when you put it against the light.
- Natural druzy has an even distribution of crystals when you examine it closely. Fake druzy has bumpy and uneven crystal distribution.
- Real druzy is always lustrous with a bright shine. Fake druzy has some shiny particles and some dull ones.
- Real druzy has a slightly rough surface with thicker edges. Fale druzy is even from all external sides and has a smooth finish. Since druzy originated in rocks, a natural and untreated druzy cannot be smooth.
- A real druzy has a velvety feeling and a soft touch. Fake druzy feels like marble.
How to Care and Maintain a Druzy?
Druzy is durable and hard. However, it can be damaged by hard knocks. Therefore, druzy pendants, earrings, and brooches last longer than rings and bracelets. Here’s how you can clean a druzy.
- Add distilled water and 1-2 drops of mild dish soap in a container.
- Mix and place your druzy in it for 10-15 minutes. Do not scrub or rub its surface.
- Rinse the rock with clean distilled water and pat dry with a soft microfiber cloth.
Where is Druzy Found?
The biggest reserves are located in Brazil, India, USA, Thailand, and China.